In 2023/2024 it is anticipated that 62% (excluding Waste Service Charge) or $22.169m of Council’s operating revenue will come from General rate revenue. Council’s rating strategy uses a combination of a fixed charge on every rateable property and a differential or variable rating system, based on land use, when calculating general rates
The fixed charge component of $566.60 for 2023/2024 applies to every rateable property and will raise approximately 37% of Council’s gross general rate revenue.The differential or variable rating component that raises the remainder (63%) of Council’s gross general rate revenue is determined by multiplying the individual property value (capital value provided by State Valuation Office) by the differential cents in the dollar rate adopted for each separate land use category i.e.
Council has determined that it will require an increase in the overall general rate revenue equivalent to 6.2% over the previous year (2023/2024) including the new Waste Service Charge.As of 1 July, 2021 Council has implemented a Waste Service Charge (WSC) to highlight the cost of waste management on rate notices. It is important to note that this charge is not an additional cost to most ratepayers, as it is already included with the total General Rate Revenue and was separated out as an additional line. The WSC is charged on the basis of the service being available at the property and will be $217.70 for 2023/2024 financial year and will be charged irrespective if the land owner/occupier is using the service or not. It will exclude vacant land and primary production where there is no dwelling on the land.In terms of residential rates, the average residential ratepayer will pay $1,223.23 excluding the WSC, an increase over last year of $56.00 per annum.The South Australian Local Government Association comparative rates data report (2022/2023) provides the following information on the average residential rates for South Australian Councils:
Want to know what you get for your rates? Visit www.lga.sa.gov.au/goto/rates or www.lga.sa.gov.au/councilrates